Disclaimer -As an Amazon Associate I can earn from qualifying purchases with no additional cost to you.
When babies reach the three-month mark, they are all set to explore the world of toys. In fact, you may see them play even before they can hold them well.
While toys keep babies engaged and provide them the opportunity for new skill development, choosing the best infant toys is not an easy task. Thankfully, there are several options available in the market.
Read on to find out more about choosing the best toys for your baby.
What Kind of Toys Should Babies Play with?
Best Infant toys must be able to help your child grow emotionally and socially. They must improve the sensory development of the child and aid in fine motor skills. Toys that delve into the ever-growing curiosity of the infant are always a good choice. Lastly, the safety of the toys must never be ignored.
Here are some features that you must consider while buying toys for your little one.
Invest in top infant toys that can engage your child in more than one way. Children tend to get bored with their playthings quickly. Find something that your child can use to play different kinds of games.
Brightly colored toys
Toys with bright colors and exciting patterns grab the attention of kids quickly. A child starts to recognize colors at five months. High contrasting colors help the baby to see and focus on objects.
With toys that require logical thinking, kids become persistent problem-solvers. They aid in the development of spatial skills, hand-eye coordination, and fine motor skills. They provide an opportunity to practice new skills repeatedly.
Tiny hands love to explore different textures like rubbery, bumpy, or velvety. Top baby toys with different textures are a fun way of developing the child’s fine motor skills.
Sounds and lights
Newborns love rattles and respond to the different sounds immediately. As the baby grows, toys with different music and sounds continue to make them happy and excited. Lights combined with sounds help in developing their auditory prowess.
Age-appropriate toys that are considered 100% safe must be used. Avoid toys that are too small or have small parts. Thin plastic, high-powered magnets, loose-fittings, etc., increase the risk of choking.
Babies are always keen about putting everything in their mouths. Ensure the infant toys are made from non-toxic materials and free of any harmful chemicals.
Easy to clean
Machine-washable toys make the job of parents easier. Some materials may be susceptible to mold. Ensure the toys are dried well after every wash.
Best Infant Toys Of 2021
After careful examination of the different options available in the market today, we present to you the top 10 infant toys of the year.
The Munchkin Mozart Magic Cube is an interactive play toy suitable for kids above three months of age. The cube has soft and rounded corners, thus making it easy to hold. It is battery-operated and comes with volume control.
- The cube emulates the sounds of harp, flute, French horn, piano, and violin.
- It instills creativity by allowing the infant to combine different sounds to form classic musical masterpieces.
- It uses lights to indicate the tempo of the music.
This musical play gym from Fisher-Price includes bright colors, multiple textures, exciting songs, and phrases to keep your baby engaged for hours. The versatility of the play gym and its carefully curated parts are aimed at the overall development of the child. The product is one of the top-rated infant toys in the country.
- It includes a super-soft, washable play mat with five repositionable toys and a removable light-up piano.
- The light-up piano includes three innovative levels of learning and an additional freestyle piano play mode.
- The play gym is suitable for newborns and will continue to engage the child until 36 months.
- It also includes a rattle and a teether.
- The floor mirror is placed inside a soft frame that is ornate with small, cute creatures.
- The contrasting ladybug and tracker aid in visual perception.
- The crinkled leaves and the symmetrical butterfly encourage tactile exploration.
- The mirror is well-supported and is ideal for babies to hold.
- It can be placed on the floor safely and is light in weight.
Each pack of egg shakers includes three pieces – a fox, a hedgehog, and an owl. The shakers are a little larger than the traditional egg shaker. They are easy to hold and can be cleaned and stored easily.
- The three forest creatures are brightly colored and have textured surfaces, thus engaging the baby’s curiosity.
- Each piece makes a unique sound for stimulating the auditory development of the child.
- It does not require batteries and is phthalate-free.
The musical entertainer offers cuter versions of the classical Mozart and Vivaldi. Since it is light in weight, parents can carry the toy around easily. It is suitable for children between 3 and 36 months of age.
- It includes a tablet-like structure that plays music and a caterpillar for a handle.
- The caterpillar is brightly colored and easy to hold.
- It is battery-operated, very compatible, and easy to clean.
- It plays over ten varieties of melodies along with flashing lights. It is an excellent addition for the development of auditory and visual perception of your baby.
- Volume control is available too.
WubbaNub is a unique kind of pacifier that includes a soft toy along with a soother. The soft toy can be an elephant, platypus, monkey, cow, or other animal. It is a must-have for kids in their pre-teething phase (below six months).
- The pacifier is one-piece construction, thus making it less susceptible to being lost.
- It is aesthetically attractive, easy to hold, and can be carried around easily.
- Most babies are comfortable holding the cuddly stuffed animal while the pacifier soothes their gums.
Sigikid has a unique collection of soft, cuddly toys called the Sweeties Family. Sweaty, the soft toy cat, is one of the most popular infant toys from the collection. Sweaty is an ideal playmate for kids between the age of one month and eight years. With a sweet face and soft texture, Sweaty is a perfect companion for kids. Sweaty has been one of the top infant toys for many years.
- It includes a variety of colors and textures. It inspires the child through tactile and visual stimuli.
- It is compatible and easy to store.
- It can be carried along easily, even while traveling.
- It will be a good companion to your kid for many years.
- It is made of 80% cotton.
- It can be washed easily and is durable too.
The classic wooden toy is both a rattle and a teether. It is compactly designed and has been considered one of the popular infant toys for many years. It can be squished, bounced, and rolled.
- The wooden construction with elastic ties makes the toy flexible.
- The bright colors instill curiosity in the young ones.
- It is suitable for newborns and toddlers.
- It can be refrigerated and used as a teether.
- The gentle nature of the toy makes it safe for gnawing.
Fat Brain Toys Ringlets are made up of 6 silicone rings that come with a suction cup connector. Each ring is three inches in diameter and made from soft, food-grade silicone. The rings are 100% suitable for tender hands.
- The bright colors and textures of the rings make them an excellent accessory for fine motor skills, tactile exploration, and sensory learning.
- The compact rings can be carried along easily.
- The rings can be removed and can be hooked to a stroller or a car seat.
- It is suitable for kids above 18 months.
Sophie La Girafe has been around for a few decades, helping infants with their teething troubles. The teething toy is made from 100% natural rubber. The food-grade paint used on the giraffe makes it safe for chewing.
- The squeaky toy is seven and a half inches tall, making it a good addition to the baby travel kit.
- Each toy is handcrafted and thus the high price point.
- The soft rubber is durable and can be washed easily.
- It is suitable for newborns and toddlers.
Your child’s motor skills and intelligence develop with age. It is important to ensure that their toys are aligned to their age and developmental stage. For instance, a newborn can be engaged throughout the day with rattles and bells. However, one-year-olds need toys that can challenge their curiosity and skills.
Remember, the top rated infant toys are not necessarily the most expensive ones. The key is to identify the ones that can contribute the most towards your child’s development without compromising on the safety factor.